“As is painting, so is poetry.”…Horace
The Lawrence Street Gallery is asking for collaboration between area poets and artists at the gallery. For the February and April exhibits we are asking poets to come in at the beginning of the month (exhibits change at the beginning of each month) and create a poem that is inspired by one of the artworks in the gallery. Then on the last Friday evening of the month the poets will come in and read their poem for the audience gathered there. One poet will receive a check for $25 for their efforts. It should be a wonderful event. Specific rules are listed below:
1. Visit the Lawrence Street Gallery (22620 Woodward, Ferndale, MI 48220, www.lawrencestreetgallery.com) during gallery hours in February and/or April (Wed.-Sat. 12-5 P.M. Fridays 12-9 P.M.).
2. Choose an artwork at the gallery that inspires you and write a poem in conjunction with that piece that is between 3 and 25 lines long (from haiku to free form or rhythmic poetry) that will fit on one side of an 8.5” x 11” paper.
3. Return to the Gallery on Friday, February 27 at 7:00 P.M. (for the February exhibit) or Friday, April 24 at 7:00 P.M. (for the April exhibit) and be prepared to read your poem.
4. Bring an additional copy of the poem for the gallery to hold. Please make sure the artwork title and the artist’s name are on the paper along with the poet’s name and poem’s title.
5. A jurist (or jurors) will select one poem that they feel is exceptionally meritorious and will award that poet with a prize of $25. The poem will also be posted on the gallery website for a short amount of time.
6. Participation in this event grants the gallery permission to publish one’s poetry.
We are looking forward to this collaboration among the Visual and Lyrical Artists of the area.